Thursday, December 31, 2009

What are my rights as a military spouse?

My husband is a marine and after three years of marriage he is filing for a legal separation because he doesn't want to married anymore. He is doing all of the paperwork and I have no idea of what is going on and I feel that he may try to get over on me because I don't know what the process is. So I if anybody can key me in on what my right are please let me know.


NOTE: ANY COMMENTS THAT ARE NEGATIVE AND DISREPECTFUL WILL BE REPORTED.


Thanks!What are my rights as a military spouse?
I am a military spouse as well. I highly suggest you go to the Legal office. They can help you. Let them know of the situation and find out everything you can. First of all do you have any children together? You said that you've been married for only 3yrs. This is a short time so you might not get to much. You should call the legal office. Then you should go to the family service department. They can tell you what you are entitled too. Like I said it might not be much but you never know until you ask for yourself. Hang in there. You will be ok.What are my rights as a military spouse?
The military does not recognize ';legal separation';. You are either Married, Divorced, or Single. In other words, he has an obligation to provide support to you until there is a divorce decree. At a minimum, you are entitled to the amount of his Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) each month. Additionally, you do not lose your medical or other benefits until you are officially divorced. Your children will not lose any benefits, divorced or not. Stop by the base legal office to get more information.
I have never been a spouse, but I have been a soldier. You need to go to your legal office and get someone to represent you as well. Try talking to your FRG leader or even ACS they can have some kind of support to help you thru this. Dont let your husband do all the paperwork, he is going to screw you over
the legal office on base will probably not help you, not if hes already been there. ';conflict of interest';. hire a good attorney, you'll be fine.


with just 3 years there isnt much to ';get over'; on you any way.

No comments:

Post a Comment