Monday, December 28, 2009

How do you word a christmas card to someone that just lost a spouse?

I am trying to do my christmas cards, but one of the recepients has just lost her husband. How do I word a christmas card to her without sounding insensitive?How do you word a christmas card to someone that just lost a spouse?
';No words that I say can express the deep sorrow I know your feeling during this Holiday Season, but I wanted you to know you are in my thoughts';How do you word a christmas card to someone that just lost a spouse?
First find a card that isn't too jolly. I've used ones that wish Christnas Peace for this in the past. Inside write ';You are in my thoughts and prayers this Christmas and always';
I am there for you.
It's likely she won't care to open cards unless they're from people who know. Since you're family, I would write her a short letter instead, on pretty stationery. Let her know how deeply you care, how she has your complete understanding of the sorrow she must feel, how you're here for however you can help. Give it time to reach her, then call and let her talk.
Send her a condolence card instead. She won't be in the mood to celebrate Christmas, so don't send the Christmas card.
I remember when my father died, (in November), my mother was quite upset that people mentioned his death in the Christmas cards. It seems to me she thought Christmas cards were not the proper place to announce deaths of friends and family, or to offer consolation for her recent loss. She was generally right on in her thoughts about things like that and I've always followed her example.


I think a Christmas card to your aunt without reference to her recent loss is best. Tell her you are thinking of her daily and that you hope this season brings her peace, or something along those lines.
Does this recepient live nearby? If so, why don't you wish her a Merry Christmas by sharing lunch or dinner with you, or perhaps, take her somewhere where she can feel good about herself again, like getting a manicure and/or a facial.


Try on new clothes, encourage her to join an exercise program or do some volunteer work.





Just letting her know that you care and want to be a friend would be very kind and caring.....I know it would help me in the time of loss. After my father passed away, I took my mom and my son to Nashville to see the Opryland Hotel. It was cold and snowing, but we had a blast. Just getting a way for a few days made the holiday much better, even though we missed him greatly.
Excellent answers already. And be sure to call or write to your aunt in the months to come. She'll need support then almost more than now.

No comments:

Post a Comment