Monday, December 28, 2009

If you had a great job offer in Asia would you move your spouse and to boys ages 10 and12?

It is a 2 year contract, not sure of exact location yet. Either Manila, Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia.If you had a great job offer in Asia would you move your spouse and to boys ages 10 and12?
If it was a great opportunity I would have a family meeting explain your reasons and if everyone agreed then yes. If you had a great job offer in Asia would you move your spouse and to boys ages 10 and12?
I'd check with the State Department to see how safe and secure the area is for wives and children. If it were deemed reasonably safe, I'd take 'em along. Having lived in other countries besides my own - the USA - I find it is a very important part of a child's education to get to experience other cultures up close and personal.


If it were deemed a hazardous area - I'd leave 'em stateside and go myself. But it would certainly have to be a lucrative assignment!
At one time I would have chosen to move. But through my work as a counsellor I have found that children who are moved as they come into adolescence can have a hard time as it puts them behind at shcool for a few months, and this can upset their confidence.





Give them some extra help with their school work or whatever to give them that boost to compensate for falling behind due to the move.





My own son found it difficult aged 9 because the school work was different so he felt stupid at times when he was expected to have previously learnt something, then other times they did work he had already done and he was held in high regard. He felt it was confusing and unfair.





Enjoy!
Not Manila, there are always problems and violence there, it can be frightening and dangerous it is a very unstable part of the world, a bad environment for kids, Indonesia Singapore or Malaysia are OK Singapore is best.
i probabaly would, it will be a great experience for them even though they will probably be upset about it during the experience. and mad at you. but you don't mention how your wife/hubby feels. which is a much more important factor.
Absolutely! As long as everyone was on board. What a great opportunity to discover a new place and it's not forever. Learning about other cultures would be a great experience and will make travel abroad a lot less overwhelming when your kids are older.
No....not without discussing the potential move in depth with my spouse and children....It may be a great job offer...but there are other issues that need to be addressed as well...
Gosh I don't know. I don't think so unless the money was absolutely staggering. 2 years isn't too long...but it is.
yes i would. travel would be a good experience for the boys

No comments:

Post a Comment