Thursday, December 31, 2009

How can I get taxes filed if spouse won't cooperate?

Here is the situation....My spouse and I are separated and I want to file married-separate. She wants to file jointly. I refuse to file jointly with her due to the fear that I will not receive my share of our return (she's that deceiving) . Here is the problem....she will not give me her social security number, which is information that I need in order to file separate. Tells me that if I don't file jointly, then I won't be filing. Any ideas on what avenue I can take to get my taxes filed separate? Thanks in advance for any replies.How can I get taxes filed if spouse won't cooperate?
get her social security number off of last years return. call IRS now and have them mailed to you if you have no copy. file taxes as planed. tell her she's on her own now.How can I get taxes filed if spouse won't cooperate?
This year, a joint refund can be split between two accounts for direct deposit, or even three. You'd use form 8888 for that.





If you still prefer to file separately, do you have any old tax returns or anything else that would have her social security number on it? If not, I'd call the IRS and tell them what's happening - they should be able to advise you on how to file legally if you don't have her social security number. If you filed joint in earlier years, you can get a transcript of the earlier tax return from the IRS, and that should have the numbers you need. It's free but will take a few weeks.





If all else fails, fill out your return and file it with all the required info except her social security number, and enclose a note explaining why you didn't enter it. You can't file electronically if you do that, but would have to do a paper return by mail.





Good luck.
You can always look at previuos tax returns, her social security number will be on them, you could also look at any resumes she may have it may be on there, Or you could also file head of household if your state allows it, Good Luck.
Tell her you'll file jointly. Then get it direct deposited into your bank account and write her a check for 50% of it when it comes in. If that isn't an option, talk to an accountant about what you can do.
e-file jointly. You'll get a bigger refund in total anyway. Decide how to split the refund and have each portion sent directly to your own bank accounts. There's a new Form 8888 letting you split the refund to up to 3 bank accounts.

No comments:

Post a Comment