Thursday, December 31, 2009

Can my spouse represent me in court on my behalf with a power of attorney?

I'm in the military and will be deployed on the court date. I am trying to ';fight'; a speeding ticket I received here in the oh-so great state of California. Is it legal for my spouse to show up in court on my behalf?Can my spouse represent me in court on my behalf with a power of attorney?
Just to support the correct answers here, ';power of attorney'; is a grant of authority to another to perform certain legal procedures, such as signing a contract or making medical decisions. It does not give somebody the power to act as an attorney in court. You will have to show up yourself, or hire a licensed attorney.





However, you may wish to avail yourself of the ';trial by declaration'; option, which will not require an appearance by anybody.Can my spouse represent me in court on my behalf with a power of attorney?
No, no one qw2ho is not a licensed attorney can speak for you in court- HOWEVER, if you are going to be out of the State or Nation, with the US military, the court Must reschedule the hearing for a date when you will be available. Send a certified letter to the court clerk and explain why you cannot appear. Make certain that you get a return mail receipt from the court.


Then call the clerk of the court and tell them your story and that you have sent a letter to them.


They will almost certainly work with you on this and the judge may just dismiss it.


Good luck on this and on your deployment.


And Thank you.
You can represent yourself or an attorney can represent you. No one else. Call the court, explain the situation and see what they say.
I think you should bounce this off of an actual attoryney. I would check out the site below for ideas. Good luck





http://socalattorneyfinder.com
yes but you really should have an attorney.

1 comment: