Saturday, January 9, 2010

Should ending a pregnancy be up to one spouse or both?

If your spouse got pregnant and wanted an abortion, would you want some say in whether or not she kept the child? After all, it is yours as well. Or women: If you got pregnant and wanted to end the pregnancy, would you let your husband have any say in your decision?Should ending a pregnancy be up to one spouse or both?
When you say I DO, It is no longer a one way street.


You should both make decisions together.


Especially about something as important as bringing another life into the world.Should ending a pregnancy be up to one spouse or both?
I think if your married its a joint decision... I think both husband and wife have to sit down talk and make the decision together, but ultimately in the end the female is going to have to go through with the pain of having a child or the pain of an abortion (which isn't really physical, but very emotional).





If you are dating on the otherhand and fall pregnant by accident its the females decision! I know its probably sexist but... Its a very traumatising experience for a female and men have no clue when it comes to how one feels whist pregnant (and again i mean emotionally).





If you are in this situation, i would strongly advise you to talk to you husband and make the decision together... and it might also be an idea to speak to a conunsellor also, just to get another prospective! Its not a nice thing to go through, esp if you have doubt!





All the best
As long as you made that spouse, not just a one night stand, I would say yes, I feel that any decision that has an impact on the relationship should be a combined decision. With part of the marriage plan as usually involving kids, I think it would be irresponsible for the wife not to include the husband in that decision. The same as would be true about me if I were to get a vasectomy, it would have to be a combined decision, it has a direct impact on the relationship.
When I got pregnant, my boyfriend and I talked about what we wanted to do. I didn't think I wanted an abortion, but I was willing to hear his opinion and take it into consideration. Of course in the end the decision is always up to the woman, if for no other reason than if she is of legal age she can walk into any clinic and get an abortion. But I think if you both made the baby you should both talk about it and decide on it together.
I believe that when a woman gets pregnant married or not the man and her have a say. But know abortion to take place unless both spouses agree on it. I believe the man should have just as much say as the woman on what happens. The woman should not get more of the say cause she carries the baby. I have actually been in this situation and I wanted to keep the baby my girlfriend got an abortion I was so mad. To this day I feel like I have missed out on my kids life because of that. I did not know what to do. What could I do I could not force her to carry the baby.
if i got pregnant and wanted to end the pregnancy, i would for sure discuss it with the man who made the child with me. i would also state the reasons why because if i EVER get an abortion it will always be for the right reasons- not just because ';i don't want it';. A child is a miracle and not all couples have the availability to have children.
Pregnancy is a joint decision in a marriage but ending a pregnancy should not be an option unless there is a case of extreme circumstances like maybe birth would kill mom %26amp; she had other kids to raise. There are too many married couples longing to become parents and that are unable to conceive and adoption just makes much more sense than aborting a fetus that did not ask to be conceived.





Mary in Camden, MI
I would not let my partner have a say in the decision, because I personally know that either way I would probably go back and say ';well, I only did it because he wanted to..'; and I'd just play the ';what if'; game with myself. I think as women, we know our boundaries and know if we can handle children at the time or not.





Edit- My opinion may be different though, seeing I'm only 16 and never have been married.
Why would anyone want to abort something that has no power to defend itself is beyond me? Abortion is selfish. I don't care what the situation.


My ex husband actually wanted an abortion when I was preggers w my now 6 yr old. I went ballistic actually ended up in a behavioral center for the way i was acting, anger just surged through me. There is no question here, abortion is wrong!
I think it's both people's decision. This happened to a guy friend of mine in college. His girlfriend had an abortion and told him a week later. He was absolutely devastated! I remember him saying ';I wasn't prepared to be a father, but I know I would've TRIED...now, I'm just going to wonder why she would do something like that without giving me a chance....that was so selfish, that was my child too.';
My husband would have a big part in that decision but after trying to get pregnant for three years and then having two miscarriages and losing three babies we would never do that. I think he has as much right as she does to the baby.
if married yes i think OF COURSE you should talk about it...just like you would talk about buying a dog...but this is a bigger issue...its a child. so yes if you have your reasoning be honest and tell him...maybe after he sees what you're saying he will feel the same way...but talk to him first
I live in Ky. and when my ex got a vasectomy I had to sign for it because we were married, so my question then was, why wouldn't he have to sign for an abortion?
Well, since the child doesn't have a say in the matter why don't you let the child choose? It's not the childs fault when someone gets pregnant and selfishly wants to murder it. Give the child a chance.
All decisions should be made as a couple in marriage, especially children.





While the final decision will always rest with the woman, unilaterally making a decision like that can be a relationship destroyer.
I personally think that if you were going to kill a child then the father of that child has a big say in the matter. A baby is a baby, why would anyone want to destroy it?
we are married, we are a team... we make decisions together.





if i was not ready for the baby, then my husband would be understanding enough to listen and respect what i wanted.
I cannot imagine wanting to have an abortion or my ex husband wanting one. But to me, this is a marital decision, not an individual decision.
i think it should be both because i have 2 exwives an my kids from both marriages live with me

No comments:

Post a Comment