Friday, April 30, 2010

What if any education benefits does the Marines have for Spouse's?

My husband is in the Marine's I know the Marine's will help him with the cost of college but is there any help for the spouse's?What if any education benefits does the Marines have for Spouse's?
My husband is in the Marines and I am currently making monthly payments on my tuition, that's after using up the max in student loans.





Before you get confused by misiniformation, the Marine Corps does not currently allow the spouse or children to use the GI bill if your husband doesn't intend to use it. The Army is the only branch that currently allows that and even that is under certain conditions.





There are tons of scholarships out there, not just for military families. Go to www.fastweb.com. That is my favorite site for scholarships. If you get an account on there asap you may still be able to apply for scholarships this year, as a lot of them have deadlines earlier in the year.





You can also do some research on www.militaryonesource.com or www.usmc.mil. I haven't been able to obtain any scholarships or any kind of aid, hence the reason why I am still paying out of pocket. But, I have been living in a civilian community so I haven't had the opportunity to go to the education center on base. I have heard they are helpful in guiding you to more money to help for school and some may even offer grants there at the base, so that's worth a try!





Good luck!What if any education benefits does the Marines have for Spouse's?
not really no. you might be able to get a scholarship or something, and most colleges waive residency requirements for spouses of military, but that's about it.
yes, if the service member gives up his education benefits, they can be transferred to his spouse or children.
They are starting to come out with a new program i know of for Army spouses where if your soldier doesnt use his education money awarded to him it can be given to his spouse or any children they have. Im not sure about the marines though

No comments:

Post a Comment