Friday, April 30, 2010

Have you had any serious parenting disagreements with your spouse/partner?

Like how to punish, how many kids you should have, to co-sleep or not, to breastfeed or not, to circumcise or not, using cloth or disposable diapers, etc?





How did you resolve your disagreement?Have you had any serious parenting disagreements with your spouse/partner?
The whole breastfeeding thing. and the number of kids





My husband wanted me to breastfeed and I don't want to. (We don't have a kid yet....still trying) but he said most people he knows who have kids breastfed.





How was it resolved? I told him you aren't the one who has to breastfeed.....if you were we would but I'm not comfortable doing it. I was bottle fed and turned out fine. And its not good for me or the baby if I'm not comfortable doing it





He now says I don't care as long as the kid is healthy.





As far as the number of kids I wanted 1 he wanted atleast 2 but we've both thought about and we feel atleast right now 1 would be a good number.....now if we have a girl first we might try in a few years for a boy but either way





Everything else we are pretty much in agreement on.Have you had any serious parenting disagreements with your spouse/partner?
My wife and I raised 5 boys and 3 girls. We were on the same page, we were both raised the same way with the same values and that's what we went by. Myself and my 10 brothers were all circumcised and my boys were too. But my wife and I agreed with it right from the start. Taking the kids toys and things away and talking to them worked out in punishment. It was minutes, hours or days and weeks depending on their age and what they did wrong. My wife wanted to breastfeed and I had no say in this one, because she was the one that had to do this on her own. I was just there to support her in what ever way she wanted.


We were basically on the same page through out raising out children. It was never a problem, no fighting and no disagreements on this.


Thankfully!
I think right now the biggest disagreement is in naming. Haha funny right? We talked about disiplining, and we want disposable diapers, he wants me to choose breast feeding or not, and we decided on three. I have a lot of multiples in my family, so we are thinking if I have twins, we might just stop there, if not we will try two more times. Haha Good luck, and remember to just stay with eachother and by your side through thick and thin. This is an amazing journey! God bless.
No, nothing very serious. My husband and I are a lot like brother and sister, and we think alike in a lot of ways. My son has autism, and sometimes it frustrates my husband very much. When my son is not behaving his best, sometimes I have to take over or my husband gets too upset. Hubby thinks I'm a little too easy on our son, but we don't fight about it.





I feel very fortunate that hubby and I get along so well. We can talk through things and try out each other's suggestions with an open mind.
Really, just punishing has been our disagreement already. He tends to be very strict, and I want to be disciplinary and strict if needed but I want to have a more open relationship with our children than he had with his. Still causing an issue. I just don't let up, and tell him that I understand where he is coming from and then give him why I think my opinion is better being as nice and understanding as I could possibly be.
Our main one is that I want another baby and he doesn't...then he doesn't agree with my parenting style. I am very open with my kids and speak to them about various subjects...he thinks that it should be on a need to know basis like we were taught growing up (old school). He is getting the idea that I should home school...I don't agree. You can't shelter your kids from everything and if you are opem and honest and educate your kids properly with love and understanding...what you teach your kids will out shine what some random kid at school teaches them...like we were talking about one of his employee's...I guess she went to her sister's house and she said something to her nephew...I don't know what the situation was but I guess she brought up ';penis'; and her sister got mad and said, don't say that, he doesn't even know what that mean....and then I guess she said, he goes to school, of course he knows what penis is...and the boy confirmed it...and my husband said, I don't want my kids knowing that....I replied, are you serious? What is wrong with knowing what a penis is? Your son has one doesn't he? That is the proper name for it right? I think it is stupid that people want to shelter their kids so much and for stupid stuff...one day your son or daughter will figure out what a penis is and it won't be by reading it in a book...it will be cause they are having sex at 12 and you never taught them any better....





another disagreement was that I let my son watch Pirates of the Carribean when he was 2...he has seen all of them, he watched Ghost Busters, Goonies, he watched Van Helsing with me and he watched the original Night of the Living Dead...I don't see the big deal and he was not afraid or had nightmares, me and him watched it together...but my husband was having a heart attack...I was 5 watching Freddy Krugar and Friday the 13th...and I would not let my son watch those...but my MIL would only let them watch Disney Movies until they were grown ups....which I think is comical...
Nope, well not about the things you mentioned at least. My husband is my daughters step father, and while he raises her as his own and has since she was 1, my word final. He does think I am too lenient BUT he is also a military man and is very strict, so in actuality I am not lenient by societies standards only by his.
You should have little things like that throughout you life. Sit down and discuss and see if you can come down to a compromise. Other times just let it go to one side or the other.
No. My husband and I have not had any serious parenting disagreements.
All of that will be determined before I get married.

No comments:

Post a Comment