Friday, April 30, 2010

Is a legal domestic partner the same thing as spouse for tax purposes?

For example, my domestic partner gave me a gift, so it should be non-taxable income... therefore my domestic partner does not have to pay gift tax, right?





I cover my partner under health insurance, have to pay imputed taxes, and share real estate with my domestic partner. Is a legal domestic partner the same thing as spouse for tax purposes?
It depends on where you live. The federal government does NOT recognize domestic partnerships, straight or homosexual. Some states do. CA recognizes REGISTERED domestic partnerships.Is a legal domestic partner the same thing as spouse for tax purposes?
No, the federal government defines a spouse as one member of a two-person couple consisting of one man and one woman who have married.





Your partner only has to pay gift tax on a gift if it was over $12000 and they have already used their $1,000,000 per lifetime gifting limit. They have to file a gift tax return if the gift is over $12000 but there is no tax until they use up the million per lifetime.



Wrong, The federal government does not recognize domestic partnerships, regardless of the genders of the two people. Your state rules might be different, but for any federal tax purposes, your domestic partner is treated the same as any other unrelated individual.
In my state, California, it is on your state tax return if you are ';registered domestic partners.'; The federal government recognizes only traditional marriages.
I have met this kind of problem before,here http://www.HealthInsuranceFreeTips.info/free-health-insurance.htm is the resource I found useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment