Friday, April 30, 2010

Should I file tax return separately or jointly with new spouse?

I'm newly married. My husband is retired and receives a pension in the $600 range. I am working full time, and my income is in the low 6-figure range. What would be the better way to file our 2009 tax returns - separately or jointly? And would my new husband qualify as a dependent, or does his pension disqualify him from being a dependent?Should I file tax return separately or jointly with new spouse?
Spouses are never dependents of the other spouse (for tax purposes). You can file a joint return or both file as ';married filing separately.'; I'd run the numbers both ways to see which is better.Should I file tax return separately or jointly with new spouse?
you file as you are legally entitled to do, married, filing jointly


he is a co taxpayer(not your dependent) on the return, you will have two exemptions, $7300 to reduce your AGI which will include any of his income as well
By the way if you file separately, he'd have to file if he gets and social security because he'd have to add 85% of it to his income and in all likelihood gets more than $3650 a year.
It's almost surely better to file joint, but calculate it both ways and see.





A spouse is NEVER a dependent. His pension has nothing to do with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment